Topological Art

After looking at work by Lee Griggs I took a look into creating the effect myself. 
I watched as many tutorials as I could find to create the effect with Mental Ray, but spent a good few hours trying to get around problems caused by Mental Ray no longer bundled with Maya in 2016.

Getting the image to drive the height of the cubes is relatively simple, you convert the image to black and white, altering the balance as you need, and plug this into an XGen expression.

The main problem I was trying to get past was getting the image to drive the colour of the cubes in the render. Firstly I had to use XGen in a roundabout way to convert my original texture into a Ptex file, but applying this the normal way still wouldn't render. One of my lecturers pointed me towards some new nodes in Mental Ray 2016 that allow you to manually load the Ptex file XGen creates, and then I had to plug it into the right node.

All of the effort was definitely worth it because now I know the workflow I'll be able to use any image.


This is the image I started with, and the black and white I created from it with photoshop. This image in particular is used as an Android wallpaper, the series of images comes from Googles Earth View site. 



The black and white is then used to drive the height of the cubes, and the colour image is assigned to the cubes afterwards.

As a first test I think these are pretty good, they almost look like skyscrapers on a shoreline which is interesting.

I think the post production work that Lee Griggs did on his renders was important to the style of them, so it'll be the next thing I look into, although I would like to make something a little more unique.




Popular posts from this blog

Big Top Plastic Shaders

Completed Title Sequence

Life Drawing - Session 1