Stop Motion - Week 1

This is my first few exercises in stop motion. I wanted to use the puppets a few times to get used to them. The task this week was to make just a basic walk.

I had never done any kind of stop motion animation before but I quite enjoyed it. I expected it to be difficult and it was. One thing I didn't think about was "crawl" which is where the puppets clothes move when you are posing it, which leaves you with a windy effect, this can be useful sometimes but it usually isn't what you want.


All of the motion is very jumpy, we were told to shoot on two's at least for our first attempts but I think the movements I was making between frames were just to big.

I Think in my next session with it I'll aim to make smaller more precise movements, whilst trying to create more overlap in movements.


In the last clip I attempted a camera move, I found early on I was moving the camera far to quickly to make it smooth, if I try it again ill have to make the movements much smaller to get a smoother camera move.


The process is very different to Maya, I'm getting used to doing a basic block out pass in Maya, then going over in a layered approach to add the detail and improve the timing.


Stop motion however is more of a performance, you have to know exactly what should be moving where on every single frame, you can go back in after and add drag on the hands for example, or change the time that a movement starts at, in that respect stop motion is much harder. 


However I do find doing something in stop motion takes less time, I managed to do the first walk in about 40 minutes from start to finish, where it isn't perfect I think that would still have taken me longer in Maya.

Popular posts from this blog

Big Top Plastic Shaders

Completed Title Sequence

Life Drawing - Session 1