Programming in MEL
One of my decisions at the end of last term was to really get going with programming. It was something I wanted to look into last year, and I did but I reached a point with Python where I didn't have any direction and it tailed off.
After an inspiring lecture on the history and future of computing and how programming has developed I decided to take a look at MEL (Maya Embedded Language) This talks directly to Maya and the nice thing about it is that all actions in Maya are listed in the script editor, so you can look at what Maya is doing in MEL commands at any time.
Python also can talk to Maya but with MEL I felt like I had a lot more drive, I have also been able to integrate it into projects at University.
What I have been working on so far was building base knowledge of the common commands using online tutorials, now I've got a big old book from the biliary to work through some more interesting scripts.
I will post some of my programming work once I get a bit further with it and its a bit more interesting to look at!
At the moment I have made some bits of code to speed up how I like to work in Maya, just simple things to help with routine tasks like clearing a scene of objects. I would like to work on it to the point where I can use programming to overcome different problems, or to use it in more of an artistic manner.
At the moment I have made some bits of code to speed up how I like to work in Maya, just simple things to help with routine tasks like clearing a scene of objects. I would like to work on it to the point where I can use programming to overcome different problems, or to use it in more of an artistic manner.