3D Camera Tracking

After the session we had on camera tracking we tried to do 3D camera tracking, which is used to take footage, in Nuke, and create 3D data from it, which then can be used in Maya.

This turned out to be a really finicky task, it wasn't working for anyone and took a bit of tweaking to finally figure out.


Eventually got it working and imported into Maya as an FBX file.


It turned out that the track itself wasn't the best quality. This could be improved by upping the settings in Nuke, or by deleting and refining the points it makes. But I was happy to finally get the data in and know how to do it.

Next step is to figure out the best way to line up the perspective on the image so it is easy to start creating Maya work that matches exactly with the video.

I'm thinking I might use this process in one of my 3 VFX shots to create a 3D toy soldier in the Falmouth high street.

Popular posts from this blog

Life Drawing - Session 1

Maya Roundup #5

Big Top Plastic Shaders