Falmouth Camera Projection

I chose to do a camera projection for my 2nd VFX shot this semester, because this technique is used a lot in industry. I built the projection in Maya, and composited it in Nuke.


I took around 50 photos of Falmouth, this was my 2nd shoot, on the first I took more photos but many of them were not suitable for camera projection.


I'm pleased with the result, I used an updated version of the spaceship rig for this shot, I managed to make it much more usable that the first version and I think it was quite effective.


One thing I could improve in this shot is the fact that there are no  little object details, chairs, litter etc. I think this would make it feel more realistic.


Here is the breakdown.




I rendered the scene out of Maya using Mental Ray, with MILA materials so I could use render passes. I made sure to get all the basic passes, diffuse, indirect diffuse and glossy/reflection, but also rendered Matte ID passes. This was helpful as I was able to change the colour of the ship in Nuke, as well as grade the buildings interdependently, this was very useful.


I also combined Matte ID's of the  ship to create the glow effect on the ground, grading it blue and transforming it into place.


I was pleased with is the streak effect, I achieved it by using the emission render pass, and getting the previous two frames, then bluing and translating these accordingly.


I felt like this really taught me a lot about different ways to use Matte ID passes, and ways to combine them usefully to create masks. And building up larger node trees for more complicated composites.






Popular posts from this blog

Life Drawing - Session 1

Big Top Plastic Shaders

Renderman Conversion Script