I took these after my first life drawing session. Life drawing was difficult to get used to at first but I found it much easier by the end of the 3 hour session. I think my drawings improved over the duration of the session. I think the white chalk exercise was the most successful and was the best drawing I produced however I wasn't happy with the head. The aim of the exercise was to capture light falling on the model instead of trying to simply draw the figure. These are my very first drawings, they were all drawn in between 2-3 minutes. My main aim to focus on for the next session is really looking at the shape of the model to make it as accurate as possible. I found drawing with chalk very much helped my ability to draw the smooth lines and shapes needed for life drawing, I think the session was far more successful using chalk than if it was done with a pencil. The image below shows my negative space drawing. We were to draw o...
This is a little collection of the last few things I did in my freetime at Uni before I came home for summer. I had to wait till I was home to get everything rendered out before I could upload anything. I'm pretty pleased with this. It was the first time I tried to use the rigs with the strechy limbs turned on and I think it turned out fairly well. I wanted to spend a lot of time on the poses and I think it paid off. I think for the way I work I prefer to go through straight forward, not going pose to pose, just because it is easier to get the timing right this way. I'm not sure which is faster, this way or pose to pose but that is something I'll figure out as I keep working. This was a slightly longer project I was doing. I started out just doing the simple character animation. I noticed some of my work was quite slow sometimes so I knew I wanted to make something with a lot of fast movement. After I had the animation roughed out I decided I wanted to put m...
For look development on The Big Top I have been working on shader tests for plastic materials, in both Renderman and Arnold, these first 3 are rendered with Arnold. We are taking reference from Evil Corp who make great plastic style CG models that look very realistic. The key things I picked up on was the subsurface scattering, and the amount of specular on the skin, so before we get some models and textures I am experimenting with these properties on this model. I played with getting the scattering correct, which you can see working on the ear. I then played with varying amounts of specular and reflection. I don't think any of them are quite right yet, it will be easier to play with shaders once we have some textures painted. I do like Arnolds ability to add lights for specific attributes, for example subsurface scattering, although its not physically plausible sometimes you want that control to push an effect in specific areas, although this could probably be...